Sunday, October 15, 2006

Holiday Gift Cards

Work buddies. They're more than acquaintances, but spending money on a gift seems a bit much ~ and can create an awkward moment should you arrive at their desk with a nicely wrapped package ~ and giving them a card just doesn't seem enough. I have a lot of work buddies that fit this bill.

I saw some cards with knitted motifs on them and I thought they were cool. So I decided to take that idea and modify it to include a crocheted mini-doily/coaster. I still need to perfect the presentation, but here's the general idea.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I chose DMC Cebelia #10 thread in garnet for the crocheted piece as my cards will be for Christmas. A pretty deep blue could be used for a Hanukkuh card, or a maybe a dark purple for Kwanzaa. I starched it a bit so it would hold its shape. I purchased some plain white 6 1/2" x 5" cards from Michael's and glued an additional piece of colored paper to 'frame' the doily. I think I'll keep looking for a different background paper as I don't think the pink works all that well (the pic doesn't show it very well either.) Maybe something in a pearlized minty green. But anyway, you get the idea.

For attaching the doily to the card, I used a double-sided removable tape. Let's face it, cards go in the trash after the holiday is over. I made sure it was acid-free just in case my recipient decides to leave the card in tact (you never know.)

Anyway, I thought it was a nifty idea as I could make a different doily/coaster each year and my work buddies get something they can use on their holiday tables to make them more festive :)

More later, Mini

4 comments:

.:Cris:. said...

Beautiful! :)

You're so creative. But I'm a nice person so I will not call you Martha!

Cris~

MiniBooger said...

If you saw my house, you would realize I am the furthest thing possible from being a Martha - LOL!!

Deb said...

Totally kewl idea!!!!!

MiniBooger said...

Thanks debi! Now, I only have 19 more to make... LOL