Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Run Forrest Run!

So yesterday I go to the doctor. I've decided it's time to try to quit smoking again (every 10 years until I can make it happen.) There's a new drug called Chantrix that is different in that it's 1) not an antidepressant and 2) is not nicotine replacement therapy. Instead, it attacks the cravings by creating the same endorphins that smoking does to help you get over the bumpy parts.

So anyway... I find out that my insurance company doesn't cover smoking cessation drugs unless you sign up for their program. Which of course, is located approximately 30 miles from where I either live or work and is comprised of the same routine that failed for me last time - Zyban & patches. Yeah, that's gonna happen. After a long day at work, I'm going to drive 30 miles so I can watch films that I've seen on the Discovery Channel a zillion times over. So after much evil eye and sarcasm, I convince the doctor to call in a prescription for both my husband and myself that we will be paying for in full.

I then go to the pharmacy where I attempt to get the prescription filled. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these people need a degree in pharmacology? Wouldn't that tell you they are reasonably intelligent humans? Oh contrare. The educated lady at the counter says,


'I don't think we have this drug in stock.'
I say, 'Can you check?'
she says 'I'm pretty sure we don't have it.'
I say, 'You're sure or you don't know?'
she says, 'I'm 99% sure that we don't have it.'
I say in my best I'm holding it back so I don't choke the living daylights out of you voice, 'Let's look it up so we can be 100% sure, shall we?'

They didn't have it and that resulted in another engaging conversation about ordering it and when I'll be able to pick it up. Now one would think that if someone was trying to have a prescription filled for a smoking cessation drug that they would be cogniscent of the fact that the person asking might just be a wee bit stressed about the whole thing. Stupid is as stupid does. I wonder if she Forrest Gump's her way through all aspects of her life? Maybe she should sell shrimp...




I'll be picking the drugs up today. We haven't identified our quit date yet, but it will likely be the first day of my Christmas vacation. So our holidays can be cheery and bright!

3 comments:

The Bookworm said...

Hi Mini, well when you do get your prescription, I wish you luck and hope it works for you & hubby!
You can do eeet! (I can be an annoying little cheerleader...lol)

Seriously though, good for you, I wish you well with it.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving :o)

.:Cris:. said...

Good luck, Mini! Chantix worked excellently for both my mom & sister.

You can do eet!!! :)

Happy Thanksgiving

smr61754 said...

Hi, Mini! Pharmacists ARENT what they USED to be. You used to have to go to college and all..now you go to a school for a few months and BANG, your a pharmacist :(

Anyway, I wish you all the best of luck with the great smokeout :) I compare smoking with my dieting...I keep trying and one day its gonna happen :)

You have a wonderful Thanksgiving, too :)

Sandy