Sunday, June 17, 2007

Macaroni

I've been jonesing for macaroni salad. Quite frankly, I could live on macaroni salad. Not yours though, just mine. Isn't it funny how something so simple can taste so different depending on who makes it? Don't even talk about grocery store macaroni salad. There's something unnatural about it.

So I'm making macaroni salad today. Wanna make some with me? Then we can veg on the couch, crochet, watch movies and eat macaroni salad together. Here's my formula in case you're feeling adventurous:

Mini's Macaroni Salad

Get out the big pot and sturdy spoons, you'll need them plus:

32 oz. bag Anthony's Elbow Macaroni (cuz it's never sticky and says so on the bag)
12 hard boiled Extra Large Grade AA Eggs (cuz we want to die young and pretty)
2 large cucumbers, peeled and cut into pieces to your liking
1 large red onion, chopped
Sweet pickle relish
A big jar of real mayonnaise (see eggs)
and if you want more color in your salad, a couple of chopped tomatoes

Boil the eggs, peel and put in the fridge to cool them off. Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Throw it in a colander (or 2) and rinse with cold water. Let it drain. In the meantime, chop up the cucumber, onions and tomatoes. When the eggs are cool, chop them up too.

Rinse out and dry the big pot, cuz it's all going back in. First the macaroni, then all of the chopped ingredients. Throw a couple of dollops of sweet pickle relish in there too. Now for the mayonnaise. Scoop out half the jar into the pot. Now get your big sturdy spoon and start mixing all this stuff together. Add more mayonnaise as needed and mix it up until it's the consistency you like.

When all mixed together, cover and put it in the fridge for at least 4 hours. This stuff gets better the longer it sits!

Now, what are we crocheting and what movie are we watching?

8 comments:

Nisha said...

how bout you make it, and i'll bring my hook!
i never thought of cucumbers in a macaroni salad.
lunch at minis!

.:Cris:. said...

Um, you can have your mac salad and I'll have Mom's but I'd love to join you for some crocheting fun- and you too Nisha!

Cris~

Monet said...

Oh I printed it out...it will help me with my cooking days tuesday through friday! :( I'll be over with my hook! :)

smr61754 said...

I love macaroni salad, too...but my b/f would eat the entire BOWL if you let him. So I better not tell him..he,he..

But you are right about the salad...no one's tastes as good as what you make yourself...so I'll bring my own ;)

Biz said...

It sounds funky, but I'm willing to try anything once. I'll be working on a shrug...but what's the movie?? I'm particular to action or comedy!

MiniBooger said...

keeno beano! you are more than welcome to bring your own mac salad :) I completely understand LOL

As far as which movie goes, I have over 1000 DVDs. Pick something :D

The Bookworm said...

I'll have to try your mac salad recipe...it sounds great.
lol...I like this part:
'12 hard boiled Extra Large Grade AA Eggs (cuz we want to die young and pretty)'...yeah!!! lmbo

Ann Heistad said...

Good start, try adding green onions and celery. Celery for taste and fibre and green onions for added fla our. You might like that as well.