Thursday, June 18, 2020

2-Fer!

Last post for the day!

Because I do the layout for our mobile home park magazine, I spend a lot of time on Pinterest looking for craft projects to include. Because we've been locked up due to WuFlu, I've also spent a lot of time on YouTube watching crafting videos - so you had to know a lot of crafting posts were coming.

Here are 2 new projects for you!

Click to enlarge

PROJECT #1: FRAMED FLORAL DECOR
For this project you will need:
  • One 8"x10" artist canvas
  • One plastic sink mat
  • White chalk paint
  • 1 Flower pick
  • A small amount of jute twine
  • Flat head screwdriver
  • Paint brush
  • Staple gun and staples
  • Scissors
  • Wire Cutters, as needed
       

I found this small light-duty staple gun at Hobby Lobby in the art / paint section of the store. The regular price was $10.99, but because I always travel with my craft store apps on my phone, I was able to use the 40% off coupon and scored it for $6.60. Since it's light-duty, it's perfect for crafting use and I don't have to drag out the mondo staple gun, (that hurts my wrist), that is better suited to household use or re-upholstering furniture. I'm sure you can find a light-duty staple gun at Home Depot or Lowe's, but they never have coupons and you may get real old waiting for them to go on sale. Anyway, I was anxious to try it out and this project seemed perfect for that. This particular staple gun uses #3 staples. I purchased 5/16" long staples and they worked fine.
Click to enlarge
Chalk paint comes in either brush-on or spray paint forms. If you're really bored, you can try making your own. I'm way too lazy for that. If you either don't have a Walmart near you or you despise shopping at that store as I do, all craft stores sell chalk paint. But be forewarned, their selections are usually quite picked over. Home Depot also sells it in spray form, as I'm sure does Lowe's. But again, no coupons.

Hobby Lobby Tidbit: If it's not on sale for 50% off this week, it will be on sale for 50% off next week.

Coupon Phone Apps: All craft stores have apps that you can download to your smartphone that include a menu selection for all of their current coupons. If you don't use a smartphone, you can always print out the coupons from their websites before you go. Never ever pay full price unless you just can't wait.

OK - enough yapping. Let's get started.

STEP 1 - PREPARE CANVAS FRAME
Remove the canvas from the frame. The frame is made of pretty soft wood, so some of the staples were a bit embedded. I used a flathead screwdriver to pry them up and out. Toss the canvas unless you have some other use for it.

STEP 2 - PAINT THE FRAME AND SINK MAT
I applied 2 coats to the frame and 3 coats to the sink mat, letting the paint dry completely between coats. No need to paint the back of either unless you are more anal retentive than I am.

STEP 3 - ATTACH THE SINK MAT TO THE FRAME
Turn the frame upside down and staple the mat to the frame (painted side down). I recommend starting at the top center, then bottom center, followed by side centers. Then corners and fill in until the entire mat is taut and evenly stapled all around. End with trimming off the excess mat.

STEP 4 - ATTACH THE FLORAL PICK
Position the floral pick on the sink mat, trimming the stem as needed, until you are happy with the placement. Wrap jute around stem a few times and finish off with a cute little bow. Hot glue the pick to the sink mat.

DONE
Hang or place your new masterpiece!

Note: If I were to make this again, I think I'd use spray paint instead. Painting the sink mat was kind of a pain in the butt trying to keep the paint strokes from [obviously] showing.

TOTAL PROJECT COST (not including tools and paint supplies) - $3.99
Canvas Frame - $1
Sink Mat - $1
Floral Pick - $1.99

PURCHASING GUIDE
Artist Canvas, Sink Mat = Dollar Tree
Waverly Chalk Paint = Walmart
Flower Pick = Hobby Lobby



PROJECT #2: TEA BOTTLE VASES
For this project you will need:
  • New Leaf 'Tea House' or 'Organic' Collection bottle(s)
  • Mineral spirits or Goo Gone
  • Chalk paint in desired color (I used Folk Art Home Decor Chalk Paint in Sheepskin, French Linen and English Lavender)
  • Paint brush
  • Cardboard from a cereal box
  • Jute twine, scrapbooking paper or whatever you want to finish the top
  • Assorted greenery picks
  • Hot glue
  • Scissors
    


   

I have a shelving unit in my master bath that needed some sprucing up. I've recently become a bit addicted to the specialty New Leaf teas which happen to come in tall glass bottles. I liked the shape of the bottles and decided they would make cute (and cheap) vases to suit my purpose. You don't have to run out and buy any tea just to get your hands on this bottle, (although I'm very fond of the Black Tea with Lemon and Honeysuckle). Any tall or pretty shaped bottle that strikes your fancy will do just fine.

The labels were easy to peel off in one piece, however removing the adhesive that was left behind was a wee bit challenging. I tried soaking in soapy hot water - nope. Acetone - nope, that just smeared it around. I didn't have any Goo Gone handy, but I did have some mineral spirits and Bingo! I don't know what adhesive they use, but I want some!

OK - let's go.

STEP 1 - PREPARE BOTTLE(S)
Remove labels and adhesive, then wash and dry.

STEP 2 - PAINT BOTTLE(S)
Apply 2-3 coats for complete coverage. Let dry completely between coats. No need to paint the screw top area as you will be covering it up in Step 3.

STEP 3 - CREATE BOTTLE TOP COVER
Measure screw top area of bottle and cut a strip of cardboard to cover. Wrap strip tightly around the screw top and glue closed. Remove cover and finish with your embellishment of choice. Slide finished cover onto bottle.

STEP 4 - INSERT GREENERY
Plop your greenery into the vase and display.

DONE!
How easy was that?

TOTAL PROJECT COST
This project was free for me to make as I already had all of the items, tools and supplies. Can't beat free!

PURCHASING GUIDE
New Leaf Tea bottle = Walgreens
Folk Art Home Decor Chalk Paint = Joann's, Hobby Lobby or purchase online at plaidonline.com

Now that I've taken this picture, I realize I need to paint the shelves. Oh well, another day...






No comments: