Monday, April 14, 2008

Boho Blocks

My last FO of my vacation is the Child's Boho Blocks Sweater from the Fall 2006 issue of Interweave Crochet. They had the pattern posted at Knitting Daily, but have since taken it down. If you are interested in this pattern, let me know as I have the PDF that I can send along.

The pattern called for using 2 strands of Lorna's Laces which I considered using since I loved the look so much, but when I searched the net for the cheapest price, I found it on sale for 54.99 a skein and it would have taken at least 6 skeins. There is NO WAY I'm spending $300 to make a kid sweater! Are they nuts?!

So I made it with 1 strand of Bernat Satin Sport. The gauge worked out perfectly. Total project cost - $15 (it would have been $11 had I stuck with 1 color.) Much better! And there was about 1/2 skein of each color left when I was done. I used 1-1/2 skeins of beige and a little over 1/2 skein each of the darker tan and blue. I admit that the 'plain' colors don't look anywhere near as appealing as the marled look obtained with 2 strands of Lorna's Laces, but then is the 2 yr. old kid really gonna know or care? I think not.


Why oh why do I continue to pick patterns that use squares? I hate sewing them together!

Since the sweater is comprised of squares, it worked up quickly. The loopy edging was a bit tedious (translate 'boring'), but because it is such a small size I managed to persevere! LOL

And so ends my vacation WIP-to-FO party ;o)

7 comments:

.:Cris:. said...

How adorable! :)

Sorry your vacation is over :(

The Bookworm said...

so pretty mini, I love the colors.
15 bucks spent on the project is way better than $300.

MiniBooger said...

After my first week back to work, I don't remember having a vacation :o\ It was probably nice while it lasted LOL

Yes, I agree. $15 is way better than $300!

test said...

Hello
I am new to this blog but am hoping that you will be able to email me the pattern for the BOHO Block sweater for children. I started to do the pattern and seem to have lost the instructions to finish it off. Please send the PDf file to marialaugustin@aol.com.
Many thanks,
Maria

MiniBooger said...

Hi Maria ~ the pattern is on it's way to you. Thanks for stopping by!

Debbie C said...

Hi Mini! I just found your blog today while checking out Crochet Me and saw your post about the Boho Blocks. If you still have the pattern handy, would you email me at harleygram@gmail.com?
Thanks so much.
I will be visiting often. Thanks for the great fun patterns.

Debbie C said...

Hi Mini, Great job on the sweater! If you still have the pattern, would you email it to me, please? I'd love to make that one.
Thanks so much. I just found your blog today, while checking out CrochetMe. Will be checking back often.
Debbie C
harleygram@neo.rr.com