Friday, August 07, 2020

McDonald's Got Scary

Last night I just didn't feel like cooking. This happens frequently as I live alone and dragging out pots and pans just doesn't seem worth it most of the time. (I'm looking to change the living alone scenario, but that's another story.) So I decide to run out and grab a quick burger. Since it was late in the evening, my new favorite burger place was not open, so McDonald's it was.

Let me back up and tell you that I hail from California. In California, the governor has decided to lock us down again - indefinitely. We're campaigning to recall him, but again, that's another story.

Because we're locked down, all drive-thrus have long lines. Even though we're allowed to go to restaurants that have outdoor dining, very few restaurants out here have it because it gets so stinkin' hot in the summer. So, it doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is, you're going to sit in a line. It's finally my turn. I place my order and scoot the car up so the person behind me can order. Now this particular McDonald's has a double-drive-thru so after you place your order, you then take turns forming a single line to approach the pay and pick up windows. It was while I was waiting my turn that the excitement began.

I guess someone wasn't following the drive-thru protocol and didn't pull up fast enough or far enough. This got some guy worked up and he was screaming from his car and honking his horn - dropping F-bombs at the top of his lungs with every other word. I look around my car for something to use as a weapon, if needed, and found a can of spray paint I picked up for another craft project. If nothing else, if it gets ugly and I'm somehow dragged in, my foe's face will end up being a lovely shade of agave blue.

The F-Bombing continues and when I looked in my side mirror, I see a guy get out of his car. Great. There's going to be a fight right here over hamburgers. I'm now able to drive up to the pay window where I see the young woman running the window is about 9-1/2 months pregnant. I asked her if she had the police number handy and if there was a guy that could take over the window. I was afraid for her - especially in her condition. She said she had the number handy, but felt ok because she had 3 other young women with her in her little cubby. She could also keep an eye out because they can see everything happening in the drive-thru, plus she can hear everything through her headset. I felt a little better for her and proceeded to the pick-up window. A hefty guy handed me my order and I asked him if he would please keep an eye on the women at the pay window. He assured me he would, so I took my burger and headed for home.

When I got home, my clicker for the gate didn't work. I guess the battery is dead after 5 years. Fortunately, the gate code is tied to my cell phone, so I just entered my code and buzzed myself in. Sheesh.

But I get it. People are frustrated. We're ALL frustrated and tired of being locked up. Tired of not being able to go to church or participate in other lawful activities (executive orders and edicts are not laws), while the rioters and useful idiots are free to run amok. But the frustration is becoming petty and childish. If people don't immediately get their way, or if things don't go the way they want them to, they're lashing out as if the situations are / were dire or life-threatening - or at the very least, they're just behaving like spoiled children. We all need to chill out and shift our focus to where it should be. Being kind to our neighbor, offering forgiveness and returning to civility. It's not your neighbor that's the problem.


No comments: