Saturday, June 29, 2019

To My Ravelry Friends

It appears that Ravelry has jumped on the idiotic bandwagon and has become political. They are now banning any posts related to Trump and his administration due to their 'undeniable white supremacy'.

Now where did they get that idea?

Well, if you're a Ravelry user and click on the link at the bottom of their policy, it will take you to a similar policy set up by an RPGer. This RPGer is a known troll and Trump hater. Since that's as far as Ravelry has appeared to have taken their investigation, it is lacking at best.

Some of you know me and know my politics. I have never felt it appropriate to take those politics anywhere outside of my personal blog and [now defunct] Facebook page. Why? Because that's Rule #1 - never discuss politics or religion with acquaintances or strangers. Politics has no place outside of close like-minded friends or the family dinner table. Secondly, I'd never support a white supremacist. Period.

Ravelry did not learn Rule #1. They have now alienated approximately half of their membership by calling them all white supremacists. And they've said nothing about leaving patterns or posts up that insult Trump in the most vulgar language.

Tolerance is not supporting those you agree with. That's easy and takes no effort. Tolerance is supporting those you don't agree with. Otherwise, you're either simply in agreement and / or not being tolerant.

There is zero evidence to support their claims of white supremacy. Does Trump make it harder for those who support him when he opens his face? Sometimes, most certainly. He's a brash New Yorker and I take him as that. And those that do the same are able to read between the lines.

So with that said, I'm leaving Ravelry. I'll be leaving my patterns up for one week, then they're gone. Too bad they had to go and get stupid.

https://www.ravelry.com/stores/julieann-thornton-designs

In the meantime, I'm going to consider if setting up a crochet group of my own is something I want to invest time in again. Should I decide to go there, I'll post with details.

Yarn on!

Click to enlarge for reading

1 comment:

gretchen said...

Well said. It's too bad there are so many people who seem to be the personification of who they say others are.