We scooped him up and drove as fast as we could to the animal hospital. It seemed that the truck might have just clipped him and maybe all that happened was a broken leg. We were adjusting ourselves for possibly having a three-legged dog. I didn't care, I'd take his sweet precious heart any way I could keep it. They stabilized him, put him on an IV and morphine drip and we were to wait until the next morning when the surgeon could examine at him. We kissed him good-night and started for home about midnight.
The next day, I'm calling every hour until I get the surgeon. He had examined him and studied his x-rays. There was much more damage than what the vet on emergency staff had indicated. Long story short, after somewhere between $6,000 and $9,000, there would be no guarantee that Jose would have control of his hind quarters and that his pelvis would heal properly enough for him to be mobile even on 3 legs. Needless to say, we had to make the most difficult decision to euthanize him. Jose was put to rest yesterday a little after noon.
The tears are almost dry now. I still break out at the drop of a hat, but at least the frequency is finally starting to slow down. I haven't been this sad in a very long time. Jose had one of the most sweetest and gentlest hearts I've had the pleasure to know. We will always miss him.
Good-bye my sweet little angel